What you need to know about animal welfare best practices
At Van Wyngaardt, we are Pork 360 certified which is a quality assurance certification, serving as a guarantee to both the consumer as well as the retailing sector that the producer has a consistent production process. It complies with the required standards and ensures the production of high-quality pork.
Our company takes satisfaction in providing customers with high-quality wholesale pork meat products. We ensure that we also follow animal welfare best practices as defined by the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) and the South African government regulations. The WHO states,
“Animal welfare means how an animal is coping with the conditions in which it lives. An animal is in a good state of welfare if it is healthy, comfortable, well-nourished, safe, able to express innate behaviour, and if it is not suffering from unpleasant states such as pain, fear, and distress. Good animal welfare requires disease prevention and veterinary treatment, appropriate shelter, management and nutrition, humane handling and humane slaughter or killing.”
We fully support and make sure that all farmers from whom we buy our meat, adhere to the International Finance Corporation’s series of best practices notes, specifically: Improving Animal Welfare in Livestock Operations, December 2014. The note outlines the Five Freedoms of Animal Welfare – these freedoms are paraphrased below.
- The freedom from hunger and thirst, by having readily available access to fresh water and are fed a diet that contains all the essential nutrients needed to maintain full health and energy.
- The freedom from discomfort, by providing animals with an appropriate environment which includes shelter and a comfortable resting area.
- Freedom from pain, injury, and disease, by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment from veterinarians.
- The freedom to express normal behaviour, by providing enough space, proper facilities and company of the animal’s own kind.
- The freedom from fear and distress by ensuring conditions and treatment that avoid mental suffering.
Furthermore, businesses that address or enhance animal welfare are likely to win or retain a competitive advantage in the global marketplace by:
- Reducing costs due to improved human-animal relationships and other welfare benefits, which can lead to increased productivity.
- Realising growing market opportunities for food produced in animal welfare-credentialed systems; and/or becoming the producer of choice for retailers and consumers concerned with animal health and welfare, food safety and quality, human health, and the environment.
The bottom line is that we are solely focused on providing you with exceeding good meats, and this includes the welfare of the animals from which we source the superior-quality pork meat products.
You can find out everything you need to know about the plethora of pork meat products that we offer on our website. Our online product enquiry platform has been designed to provide you with an expert ordering experience. All you need to do is fill in the webform with your details and pork product requirements. Our sales representatives will process your order and ensure it is delivered to your business doors within the time stipulated on our delivery policy.