Understanding the Food Value Chain
So, you’ve received a cost estimate for a bulk order of wholesale pork products. It may or may not be within your budget. As a business in the food service industry, it’s vital that you understand the food value chain.
What is the food value chain?
According to a document published by Deloitte, “the food value chain is the network of stakeholders involved in growing, processing, and selling the food that consumers eat.” This includes
- The producers that research, grow, and trade food commodities, such as corn and cattle;
- The processors, both primary and value added, that process, manufacture, and market food products, such as flour and bread;
- The distributors, including wholesalers and retailers, that market and sell food;
- The consumers that shop, purchase, and consume food; as well as
- Government and non-governmental organisations (NGOs), and regulators that monitor and regulate the entire food value chain from producer to consumer.
Let’s break this down by using the example of pork meat products. How do they get from farm to table?
Here, you’ll find the farmers and ranchers who raise the animals (most notably, pigs, for wholesale pork products.) A specific premium will be added before the animals are sold to the processors.
At this stage of the chain, butchering, value-add processing as well as sales and marketing take place. Processors will add their own profit margin before they sell to meat product suppliers. There are a lot of financial issues to consider such as sale price volatility.
This is where you’ll find Van Wyngaardt! We specialise in suppling excellent quality pork products to buy online. In addition, we also ensure that the cold chain management logistics protocols are in place before we transport your order. Please read this article for more information about the importance of Cold Chain Management.
We sell our pork meat products at highly competitive prices, taking into consideration incurred at each stage of the value chain.
Here’s a list of selected processed meats that we supply
- Assorted hams
- Marinated pre-cooked loin ribs
- Marinated pre-cooked belly ribs
- Footlong sausages
- Hocks & shanks
- Breakfast sausages
- Speciality smoked pork
Please take some time to browse our products in more detail.
Buy pork meat products in bulk online
Our online product enquiry platform has been developed to provide you with a streamlined, professional ordering experience. All you need to do is fill in the webform with your details and list your pork meat requirements. Our sales reps will take care of the rest.
Our delivery policy states that a minimum order amount R 8,000.00 is required. (Only valid for outer Gauteng region). You can order between Monday to Thursday. If you order before 12:00, we will deliver the next day, if after 12:00 we will deliver the following day.