South African Government Food Safety Regulations
The South African Government has stringent rules and regulations about how the meat sold to market may be handled. At Van Wyngaardt, we ensure that we only supply bulk meat online that meets these requirements.
The official guidelines on key requirements of meat for Government markets conditions under which the processed meat products should be manufactured states that
“The premises in which minced meat is manufactured should always comply with both general requirements as stipulated in section 4 and SABS 049 (Code of Practice for Food Hygiene Management).”
The purpose of these guidelines is to give producers and other value-chain role players clear guidance on the acceptable quality of the meat and manufactured products required by various government institutions of South Africa.
All meat products need to comply with the following Acts:
- Agricultural Product Standards Act, 1990 (Act No. 119 of 1990)
- Foodstuffs, Cosmetics and Disinfectants Act, 1972 (Act No. 54 of 1972)
- Meat Safety Act, 2000 (Act No. 40 of 2000)
Requirements for raw materials:
- The meat should be from carcasses approved in accordance with the existing veterinary requirements; frozen or cured meat may not be used in the preparation of these products.
- The cut-offs used should as far as possible be free of sinews and other connective tissue.
Packaging and dispatching of the products
Packaging: The product should be packed in clear, transparent plastic bags.
Dispatching: An insulated, cool truck should be used. In terms of transport, the method of transporting the product at the time of dispatch should be such that the product reaches its destination in a sound condition. The temperature during transportation may not exceed 7 °C. You can learn more about this subject by reading our blog article that discusses pork meat transportation logistics.
Here is an example from the guide detailing the percentages of ingredients in pork sausages.
- Pork sausage (maximum fat content of 30%)
- Lean pork (4 parts)
- Chine – the backbone of an animal in a joint of meat (1 part)
- Total meat content, at least 75% (lean meat plus fat)
- Cereal and starch products (not more than 6%)
- Salt (not more than 1,5%)
- Standard herbs, spices, harmless flavourings and permitted food additives only.
How to order wholesale pork meat products from Van Wyngaardt
Our online product query webform has been devised to provide you with a streamlined, professional ordering experience. All you need to do is fill in the form with your details (company, an email address, contact number, and write your required amount of the product in the ‘message’ box. From there, our sales representatives will process your order, and it will be delivered to your door.
We are an artisan butchery and take pride in supplying all customers with top-grade pork products. We also source all our pork from local farmers to ensure we play an essential role in the food value chain.
Our delivery policy
Please note that your order needs to be a minimum amount of R 8,000.00. We deliver to the outer Gauteng region.