Shipping Pork Meat Across Country Borders & What It Does To The Quality
Container requirementsA meat supplier needs to conform to international rules revolving around food transport. Here are a few tips to help you know how to ship food overseas through the various stages, including packaging, shipping and timely delivery. According to a reputable international shipping company, the container must meet the following requirements:
- The container has never carried or transported toxic chemicals.
- The food does not come in direct contact with the container.
- The structural condition must be IICL-5 (International Institute of Container Lessors) and with a valid CSC (Convention for Safe Containers) Plate. Essentially, the IICL has created a standard of inspection that ensures that an ISO Storage Container is in adequate condition to be long-term leased for cargo transportation. IICL-5 standard is the benchmark against which container condition is measured.
- Scratches must not exceed 2mm in depth.
- No daylight visible
- It must be a special-grade container.
- Cargo-worthy containers have been inspected and carry a damage-free certification.
- Shipping container grades are based on external and internal conditions (structure and aesthetics). A container could be structurally sound for shipping purposes but may have rust and paint degradation, causing it to look unsightly.
Risks meat suppliers face
- If the meat doesn’t adhere to the health and safety requirements, shipping pork can result in contamination with fungi and bacteria.
- The meat needs to be packaged correctly to ensure a shelf-life that can withstand deterioration due to transit delays.
- Suppliers must ensure they use reputable export companies because containers are required to be climate controlled when transporting meat.
Van Wyngaardt’s delivery policy
Our delivery policy requires a minimum order amount depending on the region. You may order from Monday to Thursday. Should you place an order before 12:00, we assure you of next-day delivery. If you order after 12:00, the order will be delivered to you the following working day. This is only valid for Gauteng stores. Outer Gauteng stores delivery period may vary. At Van Wyngaardt, we pride ourselves on always providing exceedingly good meats.
Should you have any queries or require more information, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us, and one of our sales representatives will gladly assist you.