Welcome to Van Wyngaardt’s recipe recommendation series. Today, we’re going to show you how to cook a delicious, crispy eisbein (also known as a ham hock). It’s an easy to cook meal and will have your family, friends and/or guests craving more.
Did you know that eisbein is a traditional German dish literally meaning “ice leg”? This is because it comes from the bone that were once used as blades on ice skates!
- 2 cured and smoked eisbeins
- 1 onion quartered
- 1 carrot roughly chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- You need to place the pork hocks into a large pot, add all the ingredients, and put in enough water to cover the hocks. Bring it to a boil and then reduce heat, allowing it to simmer for about one and a half hours (90 minutes).
- The meat should be tender and the skins soft. Remove them from the pot and pat dry with a cloth, score the skin diagonally with a sharp knife and salt the skin generously.
- Place the hocks in an oven allowing the skin to crisp up. Keep an eye on them and turn to crisp the entire outside.
Where to buy Van Wyngaardt wholesale meat
All our meat products are expertly sealed to guarantee freshness. If you are catering for a function and need to buy pork meat products in bulk, you can order our pork products online. Simply fill in the web form with your details, selection and quantity of pork products you require. Our sales representatives will process the order quickly and efficiently.
Order South Africa’s best wholesale pork meat products online
We offer a wide range of pork products which include
- Assorted hams
- Assorted loaves
- Marinated ribs
- Sausages, including, in addition to chorizo, prepacked bockwurst, Russians, cheese grillers
- Footlong sausages
- Breakfast sausages
- Specialised smoked pork products, which include smoked pork fillet, Boston butts and gammon.
Van Wyngaardt’s delivery policy
Our delivery policy requires a minimum order amount depending on the region. You may order from Monday to Thursday. Should you place an order before 12:00, we assure you of next-day delivery. If you order after 12:00, the order will be delivered to you the following working day. This is only valid for Gauteng stores. Outer Gauteng stores delivery period may vary. At Van Wyngaardt, we pride ourselves on always providing exceedingly good meats.
Should you have any queries or require more information, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us, and one of our sales representatives will gladly assist you.