Crazy sticky ribs
Welcome to Van Wyngaardt’s recipe recommendation series. Today, we’re going to show you how to cook mouth-watering sticky ribs just like the one and only Gordon Ramsay.
What tastes better than biting into a perfectly cooked, succulent rack of pork ribs? Can’t think of anything? We didn’t think so. One of the drawbacks about ribs is that you may have to trim excess fat before cooking, depending on their type. Don’t worry; we’ve already completed the work, pre-marinated them for you! Van Wyngaardt supplies only the best quality pre-cooked marinated pork ribs. This will save you a lot of prep and cooking time.
Did you know that there are two different ways to cook ribs? You can use either moist or dry heat. In this recipe, we’re using moist heat.
The shape and number of bones in a rack of ribs can make it difficult to tell whether they’re cooked to perfection. So, it’s worthwhile investing in a high-quality thermometer to gauge whether or not the ribs are adequately cooked.
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes optional
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 110 g dark soft brown sugar
- 600 g tomato ketchup
- 110 ml dark soy sauce
- 1 kg rack of pork spareribs
- Salt and pepper
- Heat your oven to 150˚C/130˚C (fan)
- While the oven is warming, peel and chop the onion roughly. Then, peel and crush the garlic in a garlic crusher.
- Place a frying pan over medium heat. Once it’s hot, add the olive oil, onion and garlic. Fry for 4 to 5 minutes or until the onion has softened.
- Add the chilli (if using), fennel seeds and brown sugar and cook, stirring, for a further 1 to 2 minutes until the sugar has melted.
- Add the tomato ketchup, and soy sauce and stir everything together. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, until the sauce thickens up.
- Put the ribs into a deep-sided roasting tray and pour over the sauce.
- Cover the tray with foil and put it into the oven for 2 hours, then increase the oven temperature to 180˚C/160˚C (fan), remove the foil and cook for 30 to 45 minutes further.
- Once cooked, remove the tray from the oven and let the ribs cool down, so they are not too hot to handle before serving.
- Serve with lots of paper napkins because sticky fingers are guaranteed!
Where to buy Van Wyngaardt pork ribs and other products
Van Wyngaardt’s exclusive pre-cooked marinated loin and belly pork ribs are available at leading food retailers. All our ribs are pre-packed and marinated to guarantee freshness and an unforgettable taste. If you are catering for a function and need to buy in bulk, you can order our pork products online.
Order South Africa’s best wholesale pork meat products online
Are you an insatiable pork meat lover and want to add more meat to your meals? We provide a wide range of pork products which include
- Assorted hams
- Assorted loaves
- Marinated ribs
- Footlong sausages
- Hocks & shanks
- Breakfast sausages
- Specialised smoked pork products, which include smoked pork fillet, Boston butts and gammon
If you have any queries or require more information, please contact us, and one of our sales representatives will assist you.