Bacon and Sweet Potato Pie
Looking for a comforting and hearty meal that’s perfect for a cozy night in or a holiday gathering? Look no further than this recipe for bacon and sweet potato pie! This savory pie combines smoky bacon, sweet potatoes, and tangy goat cheese for a flavor-packed dish that’s sure to please your taste buds.
Pies are a classic comfort food, and this recipe puts a unique twist on the traditional savory pie by incorporating sweet potatoes into the filling. The combination of the earthy, slightly sweet potatoes and the salty, crispy bacon is a match made in heaven, while the crumbled goat cheese adds a tangy creaminess that balances out the flavors.
In this blog post, we’ll guide you through every step of making bacon and sweet potato pie, from preparing the crust to cooking the filling to baking the pie to perfection. We’ll also share tips and tricks for achieving the perfect balance of flavors and textures, whether you prefer a flaky crust or a more substantial filling.
One of the best things about this recipe is its versatility. You can serve the pie as a main course with a side salad or vegetables, or you can cut it into smaller portions and serve it as an appetizer or side dish. Plus, the sweet potatoes can be easily substituted with other root vegetables, like carrots or parsnips, depending on your preference.
So if you’re looking for a delicious and satisfying meal that’s perfect for any occasion, give this bacon and sweet potato pie a try! It’s sure to become a new favorite in your recipe collection.
Bacon and Sweet Potato Pie
- 500 gr Van Wyngaardt Streaky Bacon diced Back and Shoulder Bacon can be used
- 600 gr sweet potatoes cubed
- 450 ml oil for frying
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 3 Cloves garlic crushed
- 60 gr leeks sliced
- 500 ml White Sauce
- 60 gr carrots diced
- 20 ml Garlic & Herb Sprinkle
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Pre Heat Oven to 180°C
- Fry onions, garlic and leeks soft and transparent.
- Make the white sauce and add garlic & herb Sprinkle.
- Pour into the pot with the onions and gently bring to a simmer, stirring continuously for ± 10 – 15 minutes
- Add the sweet potatoes to a large pot of water. Bring to the boil and cook until soft. Drain and return to the pot over low heat. Dry cook for ± 2 – 3 minutes or until all the moisture has evaporated
- Add the butter/margarine and salt and pepper and mash with a potato masher until smooth
- Spoon the bacon filling into an oven dish, then pipe or spoon the mashed sweet potato over the top , sprinkle some fried bacon over the top
- Bake for ± 15 – 20 minutes or until the sweet potato and bacon are heated through